How to build a community with email automation
What is email automation?
Automated emails are pre-written messages set up to send after a trigger event, such as a new subscriber filling out a form, or a customer making a purchase. Since the recipient interacts with the sender first, automated emails are usually more timely and relevant than broadcast emails.
Email automation has become common in many industries—in fact, you’ve probably seen many examples in your own inbox. Here are some common uses of email automation:
- A welcome series after you sign up for an email list
- Thank you emails that send after an online purchase
- Reminder messages about items you’ve added to your online shopping cart
Why use automation?
The #1 use for automated emails is lead nurturing. The relevance and timeliness of automated emails makes them a great way to keep your brand top of mind and build a relationship with clients and customers.
Because automated emails are more relevant to recipients than broadcast emails, they are much more effective for fostering brand loyalty. Research has shown that subscribers who receive a welcome series show 33% more brand engagement than those who don’t, and relevant emails drive 18x more revenue than broadcast emails. And, in terms of open rate, automated welcome emails are 86% more effective than broadcast.
So how can you use automated emails to build a community and nurture leads?
We’ve found that email automation is an effective tool for ourselves and our clients. Here are a few examples of different automated email funnels from our own work:
- Our own CMG Welcome Series sends those who opt in a series of emails including information about our team, what we do, and why digital is a key part of any campaign or brand. We also send some of our top tips from our blog about how to best use digital to achieve your goals.
- In our work with Michigan State University’s Global Food Law program, we set up an informative email funnel that gives potential applicants information about the program and life in graduate school. These emails include an alumna profile, which shows potential applicants what they can do with a degree in Food Law, and tips on how to ask your employer to pay for grad school.
- Author Brad Meltzer had already created a strong community before we started working with him. The automation funnel we set up with him includes a personal note from Brad welcoming recipients into this community, and offers a free chapter of his most recent book.
Was this helpful? Interested in learning more? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (517) 258-1947 to find out how email automation can help you achieve your goals!
Invite Change Media Group to your inbox! You’ll get our start-up series of emails, then one email a month of must-know info. No spam ever, unsubscribe any time.
As CMG’s Crafter of Strategic Communication, Amy Libka combines strategy and creativity to help clients communicate as effectively as possible. She is passionate about clear, effective communication, and enjoys crafting messages that help individuals and groups achieve their goals. She specializes in creating content and managing digital advertising campaigns for a diverse group of clients.