6 ways to show off your company culture online
It’s easy to see that just about every brand, organization, and campaign is now online. So it’s more important than ever to make sure your website goes above and beyond to stand out. One of the best ways to make sure you catch viewers’ attention is simple — show more of you! Making sure your company culture shines through online will make you stand out and feel unique, without trying too hard.
So what is company culture, and how can I show it off?
Showing off your company culture essentially comes down to two attributes: authenticity and personality. It’s lifting the veil to show what’s beneath your branding and your services, and it shows a compelling, more human side to who you are and what you do. With so many businesses, brands, and more competing for viewers’ attention online, digital audiences are keen observers of what’s authentic and what’s not — and showing off the real, human side of your brand will stand out.
If you’re authentic, you’ll draw people in — whether you’re a candidate or a coffee shop. (And if you want to hear more about authenticity and digital, check out our live video here.)
What makes you unique?
The first step to showing off your company culture online is to make sure you know what your culture is. This may seem obvious, but it’s not necessarily intuitive to take a step back and think about who you are as a company, a team, a brand.
A great way to figure out how to best showcase your brand’s personality is to talk with your team about your strengths, what you’re good at, and what makes you different than other companies, brands, or teams. Showing off your culture is more than just looking like a cool company online — it really begins by developing and living out your values every day. Talking with your team about what makes you stand out will help you see what already sets you apart!
Once you have that clarified, it’ll be much easier to showcase it online in a clear and authentic way. And don’t worry, your brand’s personality doesn’t have to be incredibly creative and out of the box to be authentic. It just has to be you!
Culture is something we talk a lot about here at CMG. In fact, we have a constant reminder of who we are and why we do what we do on our wall — and it informs how we work every day.
Time to show off!
Once you know exactly what you want to communicate about your brand, read on for some great and simple ways to make it happen on your website and on social.
On your website:
1) Have a fun or unique “About” page that helps people see past the “what you do” into the “who you are.” Need some inspiration? Check out this list from Hubspot for some of the best “Meet the Team” examples.
2) Include pictures of you! This may seem obvious, but it’s often easier, especially for small companies like ourselves, to use stock photos to build a website that looks great. And that’s often fine! But consider supplementing with photos of your team, your space, and more to make your team stand out, and help website visitors really get a feel for who you are — not just what you do.
3) State your mission or your values online. Why did your company start? What keeps you going every day? Or what makes your team different from others? This is a simple and straightforward way to communicate who you are to your visitors and followers.
Warby Parker does a great job with telling their story and stating their mission on their website’s History page. Check it out:
On Social Media:
4) Post some behind-the-scenes content from your day to day work. Let your online audience join in on some parts of your day with a quick post or photo on social media. It’s a quick and easy way to show, not just tell, who you are and what you do in a way that’s real and unpolished.
Our neighbors at Blue Owl Coffee do a great job with this on their Instagram and Facebook pages, showcasing their day to day operations with quick snapshots of their staff, customers, and special events.
5) When you go on the road, take your social media with you! Show where you go around your area for meetings, to conferences, or just for a team lunch. This shows off your day-to-day, helps your followers keep up with you, and is also a great way to build partnerships around your area.
We love featuring our clients and local businesses around the state on our Instagram. It’s never a bad time to show some social media love to our friends and partners!
6) Alternate between personal and professional. Showing off your team and your life at the office is a great way to draw people in. But don’t let it overshadow your professional work — the polished content that explains what you do, sells your product, or advocates for the issues that you care about. Company culture should supplement your social content and website — not distract from it. Make sure your audience gets a good mix of personality and what you do; otherwise it can get confusing!
Invite Change Media Group to your inbox! You’ll get our start-up series of emails, then one email a month of must-know info. No spam ever, unsubscribe any time.
As CMG’s Crafter of Strategic Communication, Amy Libka combines strategy and creativity to help clients communicate as effectively as possible. She is passionate about clear, effective communication, and enjoys crafting messages that help individuals and groups achieve their goals. She specializes in creating content and managing digital advertising campaigns for a diverse group of clients.