5 Reasons You Need Digital For Your Campaign
Along with old standbys like direct mail and television, digital has become essential for any campaign, big or small. Read on to find out why digital could be one of the best investments your campaign can make:
1) Your voters already spend time on digital. People are already on digital and spend increasingly more time online. In fact, recent studies show that the average American spends over an hour more on digital than they do watching television. If you want to reach your audience, digital just makes sense: reach people where you already know they’re spending time. Plus, digital is generally more affordable and more targeted than other forms of voter communication — but more on that later.
2) Digital is growing and everything else is shrinking. Not only is digital currently a top form of media consumption among Americans, it’s growing — and quickly. As time goes on, it will become even more crucial to invest in digital to reach voters.
3) Digital is easily paired with other forms of voter communication and advertising; like direct mail, television commercials, and radio ads. We’ve found that echoing your message online is highly effective. Recent research has shown that reaching people through digital and TV results in a 25% brand recall and a 40% increase in message recall when compared with TV only.
We call this the multichannel effect. In short, reaching people across multiple platforms with the same message is more effective than a single platform. And since digital is affordable and highly targeted, it makes a great partner to TV, radio, or direct mail and leads to amplified results.
4) Digital allows you to affordably deliver different messages to specific audiences. Targeting different messages to different audiences — more affordably than is possible with television, radio, or direct mail — is one of the biggest advantages of incorporating digital in your campaign. Individual-level targeting online gives you the opportunity to communicate with voters on the issues they most care about and that are most likely to affect them, without spending more than you can afford.
Want to know how we target online? Check out our blog post on targeting for campaigns!
5) Digital allows your audience to easily access information and action steps right from their devices. Online communication reduces the time and effort necessary for voters to connect with you, whether that’s accessing information or performing action steps. While voters would have to purposefully seek out more information about a candidate after seeing a TV commercial, or fill out and send back a form you send them in the mail, digital cuts out the extra steps and takes your viewers right to the source with a simple click or tap. With digital, you can direct voters to quickly and easily navigate to a candidate’s website to read up on the issues, sign a petition, find their polling location, and more.
Want to learn more about digital political strategy and how we can help? Check out Change Campaigns!
Invite Change Media Group to your inbox! You’ll get our start-up series of emails, then one email a month of must-know info. No spam ever, unsubscribe any time.
As CMG’s Crafter of Strategic Communication, Amy Libka combines strategy and creativity to help clients communicate as effectively as possible. She is passionate about clear, effective communication, and enjoys crafting messages that help individuals and groups achieve their goals. She specializes in creating content and managing digital advertising campaigns for a diverse group of clients.