This Week’s Top Reads • 4/2/15
Top Line Lessons:
- Looking for a way to increase Facebook engagement without committing to sponsored advertising? Check out the info below about Facebook targeting to amp up your page.
- If shares help you determine your ROI on social marketing, read more to learn what content best encourages sharing.
- Social media advertising provides an effective, proactive option for targeting digital users. Learn why the industry continues to grow.
- Learn why researches believe even interrupted views of Facebook videos can have a big impact on consumers.
Facebook allows you to target any post to a certain demographic—a useful trick in the days of declining Facebook reach.
- Posts can be targeted according to standard demographics including gender, age, location, and language.
- You can also target according to interest.
- Posts can be scheduled to start and stop at specified times. This is useful for time sensitive posts.
- Only targeted users will see your post in their news feed, though anyone can still see it on your page’s timeline.
- Enable targeting by checking “Allow targeting and policy options when I create posts on my page” under “Targeting and Privacy for Posts” on your Settings page.
- You might set up targeting details within the post area, or a popup box may appear to allow you to make your selection.
- After targeting a post, monitor engagement to see if your selected demographic was responsive.
- Enjoy this free way to drive Facebook engagement by honing in on audiences for whom your post is particularly relevant.
If you’re looking to increase sharing of your social media content, here’s some useful info that’s easy to employ.
- Mobile is key: mobile sharing doubled in 2014. Adopt a “mobile-first” strategy and stay ahead of the curve.
- If you’re hoping that followers will expand your posts’ visibility, focus on Instagram and Facebook. These sites have the highest engagement rates.
- “Listicles” (list articles) and “why” posts (which explains or clarifies a topic) reliably earn more shares than other types of content.
- Facebook sharing peaks in the early afternoon on weekdays, especially Thursdays and Fridays. Retweets are highest around 5:00pm. Evening hours are best for brands on Instagram.
Social media advertising is currently an $8.4 per year industry and its growth doesn’t show any signs of stopping. Learn why so many are flocking to the platform to target customers:
- Advanced targeting: Social media networks provide a range of options for targeting users including location, interests, and individual searches via contact information.
- Conversion tracking: Many social media platforms include methods of reporting to indicate if your ads cause a user to take action. This tracking allows advertisers to recalibrate targeting and judge the effectiveness of their programs.
- Mobile opportunities: By 2018 half of all cell phone users are expected to use smartphones. Social media is the best way to target these users directly, and capitalize on this growing global industry.
The results of a recent study conducted by Facebook and Nielsen show that even brief exposure to a video can increase brand recognition. Read the study’s main takeaways below:
- Even seeing the ad, without actually viewing the video, led to increased brand recall and ad awareness.
- Viewers who watched the video for fewer than three seconds were 44% more likely to report an interest in buying the product advertised.
- Longer exposure to an advertisement showed significantly increased effects, but even limited viewing times can impact a user.